Monday, February 27, 2012

Where Is THAT Hero?

"3...2..Guerin shoots...1...IT'S GOOD!!!  KNICKS WIN!!"  That's the way the story always played out in my head...on my court.  Even when I missed the shot..."He was fouled!"...but, I always took the shot.  And, if you are anything like me, then you also had those moments.  The moments we grow up wishing we could have...shooting the game winner...becoming the hero.  Never once, in the thousands of moments like that, did I ever pass the ball.  I don't know if that makes me a poor player, and maybe that's the reason my highlight reel is limited to pickup games on local courts, but I always imagined myself being the one...the one to win it all.  With the 2012 NBA All-Star Weekend coming to an end, I'm left wondering if LeBron James had those same moments, or did he just...pass the ball. 

Listen, let me be abundantly clear...I know it was JUST an All-Star game.  I know it means nothing.  I know he is still, by far, the best basketball player in the game.  So why doesn't he take the potentially game winning shot?  Didn't he dream of moments like this?  Didn't he picture himself as the hero?  All-Star weekend, in every possible aspect, lacked those great moments that I grew up watching.  It's kind of sad that leading up to the game, Kenny Smith's back to back half court shots in the Shooting Stars challenge, was one of the better moments.  There was zero defense, and a complete lack of competitive nature in the Rising Stars game.  So much talent wasted.  Seeing just how good Kyrie Irving and John Wall are was a real treat, but that was overshadowed by an overall boring scrimmage.  The 3-Point Shootout was alright, but nobody really went off.  Then there was the Dunk Contest with its over-hyped and completely ridiculous "Intensity Meter".  I don't really need to explain what a let down it was.  No superstars, no moments that made me jump out of my seat, only one round...and NO judges??  The judges' reaction to the dunks was half the show in the past, but then again what legend is coming out to see these guys?  There weren't even that many celebrities in the crowd, except Diddy, but he was more of a prop than a spectator.  Then the game began, and I again felt let down...until LeBron came alive in the second half.  He was making shots that were simply amazing.  He took over and showed the world the he really is the best player in the game.  He was unstoppable.  The East was down by 20, and because of LeBron, they were within one basket of winning.  These are those moments we wish for.  The ones we've taken thousands of times.  Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Kobe relish these moments, but not LeBron.  He passed the ball.  Even with Kobe in his face, prepared to officially pass the torch to him, screaming for him to take the shot...he passed the ball.  It was picked off, and shortly after a Blake Griffin free throw...the game was over.  The East, and LeBron had lost.

And, so it was, rather than seeing LeBron take another step toward greatness, the 2012 NBA All-Star game (and weekend as a whole) will be one that I'll eventually forget.  LeBron, DWade, and the Heat will likely win the NBA Finals. And, unless LeBron dominates them, he will continue to have his greatness questioned.  We will continue to wonder where is THAT  hero?  The one who takes the shot?

 "3...2.......


 For more, follow me on Twitter @JustACasualFan


No comments:

Post a Comment