Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jim Irsay vs Jeremy Lin???

Lin vs Irsay?  What do they even have to do with each other?  It does, even as I begin to write this, seem like an odd pairing for one posting.  However, I think if you stay with me for a minute you'll see that, while they have absolutely nothing in common, they are worthy of sharing this article. 

I'll start with Jim Irsay first.  If you ask me (I know you didn't), Irsay has become all that is wrong with sports today.  An owner that has done nothing but attempt to make himself larger than his players, his team, that team's fan base, and football in general.  I have no problem with his ridiculous promotions, his constant tweeting (it's not like I follow him anyway), or the fact that he is seemingly best buddies with Rob Lowe (he was in Tommy Boy, right?).  What I do have a problem with is his poorly disguised disrespect toward Peyton Manning and all that are following that situation.  I'm alright with the fact the Indianapolis Colts have decided to move on with Andrew Luck...that's not a problem.  However, this back and forth...Peyton is a politician, Keep it in the family, The Horseshoe comes first....well, it's too much.  It is blatant hypocrisy as he turns around and tweets how much he wants Peyton to stay...if he's willing to rework his contract.  REWORK?  It's a contract- you want him so bad? Honor it!  All of it!  Oh, and all of a sudden, some unknown source reports to Sports Illustrated that Peyton Manning had a fourth neck procedure.  Was it reported?...Or tweeted alongside some Bob Dylan lyrics?  I've said it before, so I won't elaborate again, but Peyton Manning has done more for that man to make him successful than he apparently cares to recognize.  And, why not just have an amicable split?  Irsay clearly does not want Peyton anymore, but he's afraid to just be the bad guy.  Just be the bad guy already!  Let Peyton go, have Indy possibly hate you for a little while, hope for the best with Andrew Luck, and move on...but stay out of the headlines.  You are all that is wrong with sports.

And, what does this have to do with Jeremy Lin?  Well, isn't obvious?  Jeremy Lin is all that is RIGHT with sports.  Not because I'm a Knicks fan, and haven't had something to be this excited about in years, but because you couldn't write a better a story than what is happening with this guy.  All across the country- heck, even when they were playing an away game in Canada, people are cheering for this kid.  It's amazing!  I don't think I've ever seen someone play professional basketball with such excitement...it's clearly contagious.  The Garden has come alive, the Knicks bench has new life, and LINsanity is running wild.  He's an example of what hard work and humility can earn you.  He inspires those around him to work harder, enjoy the game, and subsequently WIN.  And I don't want it to end.  I know that this winning streak has to come to end, right?  But, I don't want this story to taper off.  I want to believe that this is just the beginning of something greater.  I understand that at some point, Jeremy Lin won't be the top story on every sports program on radio and TV, but while it is, I'll continue to enjoy it.  He is living out the story we all had imagined we would live out as kids.  I can't tell you how many times I imagined Pat Riley calling me off the Knicks bench, and thus starting my rise to NBA stardom (by the way, that never actually panned out).  Jeremy Lin makes me believe in sports again.

So, there it is...Jim Irsay vs. Jeremy Lin.  All that is Wrong, versus all that is Right with sports. Two ends of the spectrum.  Two polar opposites...that while having nothing in common with each other, are deserving of sharing this article.  But, you know what the best part about being a sports fan is?...I can chose to ignore the wrong, and enjoy all that is right.

For more follow me on Twitter @JustACasualFan

No comments:

Post a Comment